As a pet owner, it’s important to be aware of the potential toxins that can harm your furry friend. Here are some of the most common pet toxins to watch out for:

  1. Chocolate: Chocolate contains theobromine, which can be toxic to dogs and cats. The severity of the toxicity depends on the type of chocolate, the amount ingested, and the size of the animal. Symptoms can include vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, and even seizures.
  2. Household plants: Some common household plants, such as lilies, azaleas, and sago palms, can be toxic to pets if ingested. Symptoms can range from gastrointestinal upset to more serious issues like liver failure or death.
  3. Medications: Many medications that are safe for humans can be toxic to pets, including over-the-counter pain relievers like acetaminophen and ibuprofen. Prescription medications, such as antidepressants and heart medications, can also be harmful.
  4. Rodenticides: Rat and mouse poisons can be deadly to pets if ingested. These poisons can cause internal bleeding, seizures, and even death.
  5. Cleaning products: Many cleaning products, including bleach and disinfectants, can be toxic to pets if ingested or inhaled. Symptoms can include gastrointestinal upset, respiratory distress, and even chemical burns.

If you suspect that your pet has been exposed to any of these toxins, it’s important to seek veterinary care immediately. Call ASPCA Animal Poison Control At (888) 426-4435, or call our hospital. With prompt treatment, many pet toxin exposures can be successfully treated. Be sure to keep all potential toxins out of your pet’s reach, and if you have any questions about a particular substance, consult with your veterinarian.